Prison Ministry responds to the gospel call to
visit and serve the imprisoned. We act as humble servants of Christ, providing spiritual nourishment through the Holy Eucharist, Sacred Scripture and prayer. We fully cooperate with the Holy Spirit to facilitate growth in faith, hope and love and bring about in their hearts an inner renewal and interior freedom.
- Encouragement for a territorial assignment of parishes for sacramental ministry to each Washington correctional facility located in the Diocese.
- Provide training and support for all volunteers.
- Unify the combined efforts of prison ministry so as to reach the greatest number of inmates.
- Provide a forum for awareness, education, and advocacy for issues related to prison ministry.
- All persons currently involved in prison ministry
- All persons seeking information about how to get involved in prison ministry.
- All persons seeking information about the areas of service in this ministry.
- Priests willing to celebrate the Sacraments in the institutions.
Prison Ministry Opportunities
- Visit persons in correctional facilities or local jails.
- Arrange for correspondence with inmates through our office.
- Participate in a prison Bible study or faith sharing group.
- Volunteer for in-prison religious or educational programs.
Steps for Getting Involved
- Begin with prayerful discernment to determine if prison ministry is your call.
- Decide how much time you have to devote per month.
- Contact your parish or the diocesan office at (509) 358-7314 for names of persons to talk with.
- Pray for God's continued guidance in your new commitment.
- Tell others of your experience. They, too, may have a call to prison ministry.